Friday, December 09, 2005

Melbourne...the new frontier

Ok, so as a Sydney girl born and raised and now living in Canberra, I am on principle supposed to hate Melbourne with a firey passion that is only supercided by our collective animosity with kiwis.

You can imagine my surprise when I arrived in Melbourne (and subsequently spent a large amount of time looking at the scenery from the back seat of a car) that I actually really, really like the city. Last time I went down the Victoria I was about 17 and was on a holiday with my parents. I hated the city - it was windy, full of losers that actually believed they had it better than my dear, wonderful, gorgeous sydney! I now think that my belief may have been a little on the overreacting side and likely due to the fact that I was ON A HOLIDAY WITH MY PARENTS!! Something that is unspeakably uncool to a 17 year old (surprisingly that didn't stop me from crashing their holiday to NZ due to its free-ness!

I left Canberra reluctantly on Saturday afternoon and no sooner were we up in the air, we were then declining back down to the ground! It took less than an hour - which is quite impressive when you think that it took me longer than that to get to uni every day for four years!!

We (that is Dave* and myself!) were met at Melbourne airport by Dave's dad and girlfriend who took us back to Dave's parents place where we would be staying for the next five days. It was slightly awkward at first in the car due to the fact that Dave's girlfriend has it in her head that Dave and I have or will eventually have something going on together (which makes me laugh so much that I have to cross my legs to prevent an incident that happened to one of anika's friends that still makes me laugh hysterically!!).

Anyway, Saturday night was spent with me once again explaining why I'm vegetarian and what I can and can't eat to Dave's family, then a rather fun game of table tennis that shocked myself and my hosts as I am still wearing the boot from hell and didn't think I'd be able to move around in it at all!

The next day was spent at a research institute where we were talked to and at for many, many hours about immunology and various subfeilds within immunology. This made me feel a little like i'd lost my entire scope of immunology outside of my own little area of expertise (which NEVER comes up EVER!!! I get excited if I see anything remotely looking like my stuff might overlap.) Poor Dave, however, was quite lost, having never studied immunology and kept whimpering softly next to me so much so that I snorted rather loudly at one point making some rather arrogant people from a certain melbourne institute (we'll call them by the name given to them by others known as WEHOLs - Vids may know who these individuals are and may also hate them as much as most other people do).

Anyway, the next three-and-a-half days was spent sitting on uncomfortable chairs for too many hours (in between the searching/gazing at someone I will not mention on this page for any amount of money**). All-in-all it was a very good conference with one thing that made me extremely motivated, which I will talk about in my next post. Instead of feeling like I've exhausted my ability to think immunologically, I am feeling revitilised and ready to keep on going at full speed!

* This person's name has been changed because I am suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and think that those that know me and live in canberra won't know him and put this together (me so smart!!).
** This point is something I assume will make my three loyal readers email me so I'm just going to say that I'm a little weirded out by the subject at hand and will likely not respond to any of your emails!! SO DON"T EMAIL ME ASKING FOR MORE INFO!!!

Bye for now

13 Comments:

At 10:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel,

That was a funny post. I couldn't help laughing and the people at the other computer terminals all looked at me a bit oddly.

Earlier in the year when I went to Melbourne for a grand total of six hours, I feel in love with it from a distance. Now, no city will ever compare to my beloved Sydney but I have to say Melbourne looks rather 'interesting' and those darn Melbourneans have a sense of humour... All is well.

Glad to hear you had a good time and that you are revitalised. There's nothing quite like that feeling.

Take care and have a great day.

Yoomi

P.S. This 'comment' of mine sounds suspiciously like an email.

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

Won't email you... but I NEED MORE INFO!!!

 
At 1:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

about what??? I know nuzing...

 
At 8:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol.. Who is that above comment from? Mellie...Mellie...are you trying to be anonymous???

Yoomi

 
At 7:41 am, Blogger Vidya said...

that was from the other Mellie... the eeeevil one...

 
At 7:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was my hogan's heros split personality! Geez you've known me long enough to recognise each individual personality I have, don't you?

Mellie

 
At 11:45 am, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Hehe, yes, I remember the one that was fond of red pens!!!!

 
At 7:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good old memories. Mel's many personalities... I'm sure we all have something to say about that :D

How did the experiment go Mellie Pellie???

Yoomi

 
At 6:36 am, Blogger Vidya said...

How isthe one that eats meat going Mel??

I can't beleive I jsut said that 0 it must be one of my other personalities!

 
At 12:02 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

ummm... can I still ask for more information??? Are we still meeting up on the 27th?

 
At 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

27th...aha...a good day I believe. Might be working part of that day, perhaps in the evening. Is it okay if we meet in the morning or mid-afternoon...?

Yoomi

 
At 12:19 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

Just let me know a day and time and I will be there :D

 
At 1:02 pm, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Yeah!! Me too so I can organise a cardboard cutout of myself to come along as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home