Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Panic Attacks Are F.U.N.!

Ok, so the last week or so I've started being really short of breath - like I have a heavy weight on my chest that won't go away. Coincidentally this said shortness of breath is particularly apparent when I am at work or thinking about work.
I sort of just assumed it was that I'm getting sick as I have been a little unwell lately but this morning while lying in bed I felt like an extra-large dog was sitting directly on my chest. So I started breathing more frequently and shallow and the next thing I know I can't breath properly i.e. hyperventilating and THEN I started thinking about all the work I have to do and my added commitments like tutoring and YAA and it started getting worse until finally I was feeling so whoozy I realised I was having a panic attack and would pass out soon if I didn't get it under control.
So I remembered something from physiology in third year that basically said that I had to reset some chemoreceptors in my brain in order to breathe easier and to do that I had to breathe into my hand to get more CO2. I still hyperventilated for a while but it eventually stopped! So a big thanks to Julia Raftos for teaching us that little trick!
Anyway, I couldn't sleep after that so decided I'd get up and have a shower and come into work early (that is 5am!). I am now determined to get everything under control starting with my desk which is looking increasingly like Jenny Donald's desk! After that I'm going to talk to my supervisor about him showing me a protocol for an experiment I've been bugging him about for the last two weeks!

So, yeah I'm a little better now but thats why I haven't written in this for the last two weeks (before that I was interstate as you all know!).
Have a really great day and remember that trick of breathing into your hands if you're hyperventilating!

7 Comments:

At 8:46 am, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Oh Mellie!!!!!!!! I think you need to take things easy and not stress so much!!! I order you NOT to panic anymore!!!

Why on earth did you go into work at 5am??

*Roars*

I think you deserve an early mark for coming in so early so I order you to go home at lunch time!!!!

 
At 9:03 am, Blogger Mellie said...

ah if only it were that simple! The only way for me to stop panicing is to get what I need to do done - if I leave it any longer I'll be in at work at 5am all the time! I don't want that!

 
At 9:43 am, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

But do you need to cram everything in at once?? I worry about you, seriously.........

 
At 4:27 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

Ok! Make a list and take it one thing at a time... you have all the time in the world!!!

This PhD is supposed to be a fun experience - you are doing what you want so enjoy it!

Hugs and hope you get it all under control soon!

 
At 6:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, a panic attack... Oh dear, God bless the Raftos gentlelady...whoever said education doesn't have practical uses??? Hmmm, I think it was one of my brothers who said something like that. Anyhow, Mel, I hope everything works out with your supervisor and you get no more of these panic attacks...

Yoomi

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

*ROAR* (coz that's what I do best!!)

I hope you are feeling better now, and things at uni are getting better.

Miss you!! Take it easy Mellie Pellie.

P.S. How's your beard coming along??

 
At 7:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel's growing a beard...Ummm, I suppose this is one joke I don't really get. Can someone perhaps explain it for me?

Oh yeah, when am I going to get the journal again :P

Yoomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home