Saturday, April 23, 2005

Some Updating of the Insane Rambler Files...

Hey Peeps,
I thought it might be nice while I'm up in Sydney (doing nothing) to give a few updates on the previous week I've had. All-in-all it's actually been a great week!

Firstly, and probably the most exciting thing, is that I discovered a new gene. Through the power of BLAST I was able to identify a new member of the group of genes I'm studying. It seems to amaze alot of people outside of the lab especially my family as to how I could have possibly found a new gene so soon after starting my PhD. I then go into the long and involved details about it and they seem even more impressed despite me saying numerous times "its very simple really". We had a celebration yesterday in the lab for my new found gene and for another person's results - the celebration involved some home-brew beer my supervisor made several years ago that smelt like vegemite (because of the brewers yeast).

Second thing, I have been hounding the undergrad lecturer for Molecular Immunology non-stop for almost a month and finally was able to meet up with her on thursday. I was really, REALLY nervous about it but numerous people told me that she was really nice so it eased my anxiety a little. We talked for about 20 mins about the immunology course I'd done in undergrad, my research, my leadership abilities and then she said she'd employ me. My response "REALLY?!?!" in a super-high voice to which she responded "yes" in a normal toned voice. I then asked what textbook she uses and she said "Janeway's Immunobiology" to which I replied "Oh My God - I LOVE him and I call his book my bible!" and she replied ".....ok....".
Despite this she still seems keen and so I'm heartened that my making a shtick of myself didn't hinder my actual job prospects.

Apart from that, it looks like I may be doing a bioinformatics course in Brisbane on the 21st-24th June (Vid's do you need bioinformatics skills? If so see if you can do this course with me! hehe). It is 4 days of looking at making phylogenetic trees, doing advanced gene sequence searches and other marginally scary maths stuff. I'm hoping to stay at my Dad's work apartment at the gold coast for free which is quite nice!

Well, I've got a busy-ish four days with the family - lots of hugging Casper and laughing at my brothers and Dad as they try to play baseball today. Thankyou for reading my insane ramblings...

16 Comments:

At 7:46 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

I cant wait to hear all about your new gene!!! I am sooo happy for you!

I don't really need much bioinformatics at the moment but send me details on the course and I'll ask my supervisor about it!

I am very proud of you and really looking forward to seeing you on monday!

You, Yumna and I will have to decide on a time to meet!

 
At 9:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, congratulations on that! That's such a formal word...
We're going to meet up soon and just have faith and keep up the hard work!!!

Yoomi

 
At 8:52 am, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Hi Mellie,

I too don't need too much bioinformatics training at the moment.

Hehe.

Congrats on finding a new gene!! Is it a blue gene or a more fashionable black one?? Stone washed and ripped, or perhaps is it a tighter fitting pair??

Graduation today!!!!!!!!!! Will call you later and harrass you!!!!

Take care and congratulations once more!!

 
At 9:33 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

Anika: Its like REALLLY new and revolutionary... the amazing thing about it (or so Mel tells me) is that its not even Denim!!!! She cant say anymore incase you steal her idea...

 
At 8:23 am, Blogger Mellie said...

Heh - Anika WOULD steal my gene wouldn't she! Hehe, thanks for calling Anika - it brightened my Day! Thanks for the message as well Vids - I was half asleep when I read it which is why I didn't reply.
Thanks for...well for being yourself Yoomi, keep up the you-ness!

 
At 11:09 am, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Ahh, that was my intention, to brighten your day!!!

You forgot to tell the woman that Janway's ImmunIology book lives underneath your pillow. You also forgot to include that you worship it and that you started the 'Janeway Cult'.

 
At 6:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meeeeelllllllllllllll Where are you??? We peoples miss you so please, pretty please, with a pineapple on top, please update your blog :D

Yoomi

P.S. How was graduation?

 
At 6:46 pm, Blogger Mellie said...

Geez Yoomi, that was a kinda needy message! I just posted on saturday and you want more!?!?! I'll see what I can do!
Graduation was good - but the after graduation was stuffed around and made me pissed off at some people!

 
At 8:43 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

I am sorry about the after graduation Mel!!!! :(:(

 
At 9:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do that Mel :) I was actually going to update my own blog today but I thought I'd give it time. I've been staring at a blooooody (British accent there) computer all day! Glad to hear graduation went well. Take care!

Yoomi

 
At 9:42 am, Blogger Mellie said...

VIDS!!!: that comment wasn't meant for you! I wasn't pissed off at you - I was upset that you'd leave without saying anything or even talking to me for a full 5 minutes! Absolutely NOT pissed off at you. Someone else after the ceremony made me angry and they probably think I'm angry at them for something different than it actually was. We didn't part well!

 
At 2:41 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

I am sorry though Mellie :(

and thanks heaps for the site you sent me!!

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger Vidya said...

OI SMELLIE PELLIE! UPDATE! Now!

 
At 2:53 pm, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Mel is too busy with the Janeway Cult.

Damn her for crossing over to the other side!!!!

 
At 5:59 pm, Blogger Mellie said...

Hehe funny cause its true - I'd say long-live Janeway but we all know that he's departed from this realme (except when I'm channeling him!).
I'll update tomorrow as I'm coming in to do some work.
There's not much to blog but I'm sure I'll get something out!
Tonight I'm off to see Lior - he's a really great aussie musician. If you wanna hear his songs go to the tripleJ website and download them for free (Autumn rain is really nice!)
Bye for now!

 
At 8:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel...ummm, you know, I went into HMV the other day and listened to Senor Lior and I love the guy and I'm planning to get his CD. Make sure you ogle if he's good looking that is and give us a bit by bit account on your blog (Alternatively, you can email me :P)

Yoomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home